Friday, December 30, 2011

Dad's Christmas Trip!



Christmas has come and gone and so has an entire year. It's crazy! My Dad's trip was a lot of fun and very busy busy busy! Since it was his second time (this year) we did a little less touristy things and did more island adventures and just hanging out. Christmas was low key but we enjoyed a delicious dinner at Formaggio in Kailua with a huge bowl of Lobster Mac and Cheese. Can't go wrong there! His trip seemed to end just as fast as it started but it was definitely a fun time and I am glad I wasn't here celebrating Christmas alone!

Here is our 2 week adventure in photos:


Here he is, Mr. Aloha himself.
I made him dress up, however I did not make him purchase.

Dad wanted to see every sunrise on Lanikai. While he made
a valiant effort, a few times that need to enjoy vacation
in bed set in.
However, this was his first of the trip:



Dad's first real experience up on the north shore.
AND his first taste of a Loco Moco, which he loved,
of course. Meet, gravy, egg, rice. Who wouldn't?!
Thank you Ted's Bakery.

Also while up on the North Shore, we ran into
these little guys at Hale'Iwa beach park. It's a little
known secret, mostly just by locals, which means the
beaches aren't crawling with tourist and these dudes can
just relax in the sun.
Apparently 300 feel is the legal limit when it
comes to how close you can stand to the turtles. This was
information I clearly didn't know before hand.

We also consumed several calories during dinners
at the other Ted's... Teddy's Burgers. I think if
they had one of these in Billings, he'd be broke and
800 pounds.

The dream, which we didn't get to last visit, was to
golf in Hawaii, but more importantly, in Hawaii in December.
Royal Hawaiian Golf Course came to the rescue and we
snagged a tee time for one golfer and his personal caddy.
The whole course was absolutely beautiful and while
I didn't care to pick up a club myself, I really enjoyed cruising
around in the cart and seeing the scenery.
(The view from the club house. Truly amazing!)

On Christmas Eve we attended the Sheraton Aloha Bowl
which was Southern Miss vs. Nevada. It was a really
fun game, beautiful weather, and exciting to attend
by second bowl game. After checking out the "selection" of
players, I instantly became a die hard fan for Souther Miss
and what do you know, they won!

Christmas rolled around and while it was quiet and
relaxing for most of the day, I did have to
work that morning. Which wasn't bad because everyone
(mostly) is happy on Christmas day so it was just fun to feel
the Christmas spirit at work. After work, I changed into my
Christmas outfit and set out back down to Kailua where
we did have one gift to open from my sister
Emma and a few other little gifts and cards I received from
family and friends. I will officially have peanut M&M's
to last a life time!
(Christmas tree, Hawaii style!)

Dad had to get his fix at the Turtle Bay pro shop so we
spent some time there. As you can see, we both value golf
very differently :)
We spent one evening enjoying a Luau and Dancing at the
Polynesian Culture Center. I think I have seen their night show
about 15 times now and I swear I could see it 15,000 more.
Before dinner we got to walk around the PCC and
see some of the villages and go on a canoe ride.

He also tried his luck at eating Spam, which is on most menus
here in Hawaii. They love it, and I am honestly not sure
why. Being as picky as he is, I thought for sure he wouldn't
but much to my surprise, he ate his hole meal. He won't
eat Thai food but he loves spam? Ok Dad :)

We did several hikes while he was here, which was awesome
for me because they are on my Hawaii bucket list.
Our first hike was to the Makapuu light house. It's a good
hike, all paved, but a nice incline with amazing
views once you get to the top.
Another hike we did, which was also an incline but not
so leisurely as Makapuu, was the Koko Head hike. It is a
1200 feet rise in elevation, hiking on 1,000 railroad ties,
pretty much straight up. It is an intense hike to say the
least! But after two hours of climbing, stepping, breaking,
drinking, and climbing some more, we made it to the
top and oh my was it worth it! The view of Sandy's, Hawaii Kai,
Hanauma Bay, and Diamond Head were worth the
sweat and pain!
And what better way to end the day than a sunset at
Hawaii Kai.

We did a lot while he was here, but made sure to leave
plenty of time for relaxing and enjoying vacation!
It was a fun trip and I am glad he was able to come one
last time before life takes me somewhere new!

1 comment:

  1. So much fun!! Sounds like such a nice time and so nice to spend the holidays with your daddy!!:)

    ReplyDelete