On Saturday, I decided to brave the public transportation system of Hawaii, aka ALOHA! The Bus. Luckily for me, there is a stop right out our front door. However, I got on and saw the big sign "NO CHANGE" as I attempted to hand the driver a $20. He could see the look of panic sweep over my face and he allowed me to ride "Just this once" for free and I could break the bill at the next stop where I would be transferring to another bus. There was a very nice toothless man sitting across the aisle from me. He asked where I was going...to which I replied "Laie." He smirked and said "Are you Mormon?!" ...(pause)... "Why, yes I am." "Well you'll fit right in up there." Thank you sir for the generous stereo! Ha.... SO, I made it to the next stop where I began the search to break my $20. I went to the Shell. The sign at the register read: "Must purchase item to break any large bills." Hmmm, what to buy?!
Ok, that was an easy decision:
It wasn't a bad ride once I figured out where I needed to stop, get off, and get back on again. I had to get off twice and ride a total of 3 buses. All in all it was actually a pleasant experience that took me about 1:45:07. According to the internet, although it took 30 minutes longer by bus, I saved $17.82 in gas (it costed me $2.50 each way, totaling $5.00. That same toothless man who asked my religious preferences informed me one can ride the whole island for $2.50 if you never get off and need a ride back somewhere. Again, thank you sir.)
I got to Laie and had only a short 2 block walk to Mari's dorms. We went one last time to the temple open house and of course had to take another jumping photo:
This was standing at the front of the temple looking out...it was around 6:00pm so the colors in the sky were changing for sunset. It was really pretty but I think I just caught the beginning of it and the rest happened while we were on our tour!
No comments:
Post a Comment