Sunday, November 27, 2011

Red Raider Nation!


Last night, the famous Kahuku Red Raiders battled the Punahou Buffandblues at the Aloha Stadium and after an on-the-edge-of-your-seat, nail biting war...they conquered. It was such an awesome experience to be a part of! The game was intense, the fans were out of control with pride and spirit for Kahuku...It was truly an experience I will never forget!! Our side of the stadium was a sea of loud, rowdy, red wearing fans...full of cheers, chants, chops, and even a mass flash mob. The win was just the tip of the ice berg in a all night series of rallies, parties, and celebrations. After the traditional school songs and Haka, fans and players alike made the long and noisy trek back up to the north shore. We got to Kahuku around 1am and was greeted with a sea of red...in the streets, on the sidewalks, on rooftops, on hoods of cars, backs of trucks, tops of fences...the road was inhabited with people rather than cars...and happiness, joy, and celebration were in the air! Horns were honking, music blaring, bells ringing, fire engine sirens blowing, fireworks flying...it was truly a spectacle to behold!! I am so lucky to be a part of this amazing North Shore Ohana!! I realize I am just another white girl implant from the mainland but these locals have welcomed me up here with open arms and especially on that night...we were all Red Raiders!! These people celebrate, mourn, rejoice, love, cry, and laugh together as a community. They are all they have on this small little island and I am so grateful to be a part of that love!!!

The honking has subsided, less are wearing red shirts today...but that excitement and sense of pride and accomplishment is still in the air! Go Kahuku...RR4L!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment